The Faculty of Arts & Humanities is committed to ensuring all of our students have the opportunity to develop, succeed and integrate into all aspects of university life. The Faculty of Arts & Humanities strives to achieve this goal, working on a variety of student-centric initiatives across all the departments in the Faculty.
This new Student Experience Coordinator role will be responsible for: leading on project design and delivery for key strategic projects; building strategic relationships with academic and professional services staff in the Faculty; leading on Postgraduate Research student experience initiatives; and deputizing for the Student Experience Manager.
The Student Experience Coordinator will lead on the integration of Postgraduate Research students into the student experience remit. They will conduct research into existing student experience and support structures, identifying areas for collaboration and building a student experience strategy for Postgraduate Research students. The post holder will lead on the Faculty’s new student voice initiative, supporting our paid student co-creators to fulfill their role successfully.
Alongside the Student Experience Manager, the post holder will implement a strategic approach towards project management and building relationships within the Faculty and central College support services. The post holder will be able to support the Designated Safeguarding Officer, managing sensitive data relating to complex student cases. They will also support the investigation of student complaints in the Faculty.
Successful candidates will have knowledge of the issues affecting students in Higher Education and a desire to improve the student experience. They will have excellent interpersonal skills, experience of managing projects and an understanding of safeguarding responsibilities in a Higher Education context.
This is currently a hybrid role, and the role holder will spend part of their working week on campus and part of the week working remotely.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract.
This is a full-time post.
- Lead on the management of key strategic projects related to the student experience within the Faculty of Arts & Humanities, including annual projects such as Welcome and Induction.
- Implement project plans for business as usual work throughout the year, ensuring projects are delivered on time and with adequate resources.
- Contribute to an environment of continuous improvement, identifying opportunities for process improvement and implementing change.
- Analyze relevant data, writing evaluations and reports where necessary.
- Coordinate responses to safeguarding concerns, supporting the Student Experience Manager in their capacity as the Designated Safeguarding Officer.
- Coordinate and support the investigation of student complaints.
- Deputize for the Student Experience Manager when needed.
- Conduct research into the Postgraduate Research (PGR) student experience within the Faculty, identifying opportunities for improvement and inclusion within the existing student experience strategy.
- Develop and implement a PGR student experience plan in collaboration with the Faculty’s Research department.
- Lead on the Faculty’s new Student Voice initiative, acting as a point of contact for paid student representatives.
- Analyze student feedback from student representatives and departments, identifying opportunities for improvement, and implementing change where needed.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders across the Faculty, including academic and professional services staff.
- Collate and share examples of best practice in student experience across the Faculty, establishing a network for this purpose.
- Support academic departments with student experience related queries and projects, empowering them to lead on new initiatives.
- Support Student Staff Liaison Committee meetings, attending and taking notes/minutes as required.
- Contribute to the development of strategic goals related to student experience for the Faculty of Arts & Humanities.
- Contribute to the department and Faculty student communication strategies.
- Participate in projects which are defined and led by the Student Experience Officers, offering project management support where needed.
- Ensure work is carried out in a professional and timely manner, with appropriate confidentiality and sensitivity.
- Act in a flexible, proactive way and be prepared to support colleagues with work when needed.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Experience of improving the student experience in a university setting for a diverse student population, or equivalent experience.
2. An understanding of student experience and the issues which are currently effecting students studying in the UK and an understanding of Safeguarding in a university environment.
3. Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to communicate effectively, negotiating with a range of stakeholders.
4. A proactive, positive, creative and pragmatic approach to problem solving, contributing to an environment of continuous improvement.
5. Ability to work effectively as part of a team and delegate responsibilities to stakeholders who you do not have line management responsibility for.
6. Excellent time management and organization skills, with the ability to manage own workload and prioritize tasks in a busy work environment, sometimes working to tight deadlines.
7. Experience of managing a project from start to finish and/or experience using project management techniques.
8. Experience of analyzing quantitative and/or qualitative data with a view to writing reports and evaluations.
9. Understand confidentiality in the context of managing complex student cases and complaints.
10. Strong commitment to equality and diversity in the workplace.
1. Training and/or qualification in formal project management.
2. Substantial experience working in the HE sector.